I have a friend in Pinterest.
One day my friend, Pattie, asked me how many pins I have on my Pinterest account. I didn’t know. How do you find that out? She said it is right under my name when I open Pinterest. Well I’ll be. I have around 450 pins. She had over 4000! Me thinks she has too many days with headaches.
I bought a Go fabric cutter. I get an urge to find a pattern to use shapes I have bought and I start looking at quilt patterns. I am a quilt builder more than a pattern follower. I find inspiration in things and go from there. Most of my Pinterest folders are different types of quilts for the different shapes I have for my Go cutter.
I have a plethora of men’s shirts that I blame solely on Bonnie Hunter. She came to talk at our guild one year and show us her quilts. I left with an urgent need to buy men’s shirts at the thrift store. I have two huge Rubbermaid tubs of 100% cotton shirts.
I was perusing Pinterest one night and I found a pattern for a quilt that uses 7 shirts to make a quilt. A link led me to Thrifty Quilter blog and she gives wonderful instructions on how to use 7 shirts to make a quilt. I’m hooked! I just happen to have 100 % cotton shirts! I started digging around in one of the tubs and pulled a few shirts and then decided that I needed one more color so I got in the other tub. Well guess what? The other tub is filled with fabric pieces of shirts that have been cut apart. My friend Pattie did me a huge kindness and cut many of my shirts apart for me. I started feeling guilty having all those perfectly good shirts that I was just cutting up and there are people who could probably use them to keep warm and I stopped after cutting apart a dozen or so.
Out came 7 shirts in usable parts and I cut them according to the directions in the Thrifty Quilter blog. I did not read all the way through and sub cut the light strips into 2 ½” squares. I wasn’t supposed to do that. So I didn’t make my quilt exactly like hers. I had a lot of pieces to use up. Fortunately I stopped before I cut everything into squares and started doing the sewing according to the directions. Because I had cut so many strips into squares I could not make the piano key borders, so I am making 9 patch blocks instead for the outside border. It’s fun in a way, finding enough squares of each color to do what I have planned to finish up my thrifty 7 shirt quilt.
|my layout, different a little from Thrifty Quilter|
I have told myself all along this was the experimental shirt quilt. I think I will go pull 7 more shirt parts and start anew.
|I bordered my quilt with 9 patches instead of piano key strips|