Wednesday, June 27, 2018

A Day in the Life...

MOJO has returned       

I was getting discouraged forcing myself to sew for 10 – 12 weeks during this last sinus attack. I was making extremely slow progress, but I could at least tell myself every day that I got a seam sewn, or a block prepped to sew. Some days I would get a whole block sewn, other days two blocks. The last little while I noticed instead of doing only 2 blocks at a time I was doing 5 and then suddenly prepping 10 at a time and getting them done in a couple of days was achieved.

Today I finished prepping the last 10 blocks to get assembled over the next 4 days. I have to count the hour glass blocks I need for setting the Hawks Nest blocks together. 

I have 20 made but I think I need closer to 40. No big deal, those pieces are cut, just sitting on a tote lid waiting for their turn under the pressure foot. 

I didn’t sew them all together when I cut them because some of them just need to be paired up to be the edge setting triangles and 4 small ones are for the four corners. Setting a quilt on point is a chore I don’t often do to myself, but I like the effect on this particular quilt.

The MOJO has returned.

This week has been full. Men came and trimmed the two tall oaks in the back yard and cut down the 9 trees in a clump in the front yard. I want to fill that new open space with a low tree of some kind. A Dogwood or a Red Bud would be a beautiful addition. The neighbors are happy the oak won’t be leaving large limbs in their yards and we are no longer terrified of going into the back yard with the dog since a gigantic limb fell a couple of weeks ago and landed behind the garage.

I went to the dentist Monday, in a last minute appointment late in the day for an impression for a crown, and exiting the freeway almost ended my life as a fire truck crested the hill horn ablowing and heading for me in the one little lane left because of construction. I recall two things crossing my mind in the seconds I had to save my life. One was my foot was hitting the brake and it needed to be hitting the gas and I had to find a place to put the car. I found a place to put the car. I backed up after he passed and went on my way. The little hole I put the car was sealed up with orange barrels when I drove by on my way home. The guy behind them was probably thinking what an ass I was for driving into the construction site.  I did nothing wrong. I was not distracted. I'm a very careful driver. The fire truck was hidden behind the rise of the bridge when my light turned green. I had been carefully looking at the lane I was going to turn into because of construction blocking so much of the bridge and a pickup truck waiting to turn left onto the freeway to my left. If the fire truck driver was blowing the horn earlier, I was still exiting the freeway and was nowhere near where I could hear him coming. Life turns on a dime and I am very thankful I’m still around to worry about whether I have MOJO or not. Mojo seems so inconsequential now. To be honest, it’s probably what pushed the rest of the procrastination right out of my system.

I had a teeny tiny quilt scheduled for Tuesday and I did it on Monday, so I got a day back for myself. Today I loaded a charity quilt. I’m happy to be able to still give back.
And it’s ONLY Wednesday!

1 comment: